oh lovelies

Thursday, March 03, 2005

How to manage money

I remember at my former job a guy was let go. I asked the reason, and was told by my supervisor that it was "none of my business." And he said that to me in front of all my co-workers. I'm wondering if it is really none of my business what goes on between workers, at any place I'm working. I'm beginning to think that it is in fact very much my business, as it is everyone there. Why? I work here, that's why. Well, why is it? Is it really all a matter of personal, individual grievances and struggles? Or could it be that the reason one person loses their job is the same that I lose mine? We're talking about people who have overwhelming power over us, to affect our livelihood not just at this job but at future ones as well. If a former boss talks bad about you you won't get hired again. And then what are we supposed to do? The fact is, and these are the facts: the workers who were the first fired and last hired were black women. These women were made out to be not only terrible workers, but practically terrible people as well. And they subsequently couldn't get jobs elsewhere. Is it just a coincidence? Now, let's assume margin for error: maybe they really were terrible workers. Or, as the argument goes, they were completely unqualified because of their lifetimes of oppression. They were incompetent, and mentally inferior, but of course that's because of their oppression, or "life isn't fair." Well, I'm thinking of three so far. The idea was that there was no hope of them ever getting hired to the higher levels. One woman was there for eight years, and was suddenly fired. Not only that, her paycheck disappeared.

So, who is the bad one here? If they're made out to be terrible people and terrible workers. If the people they work for have this much power over their lives that they control their livelihood, their means of eating and sleeping, not just at this job but in future ones, who really is dangerous?

Is it really none of our business why someone is let go? The boss will give one reason but that will be a lie. What is the real reason? Are we entitled to know? Our HR manual tells us we can be fired at a moment's notice for no reason. This one manager was suddenly fired, allegedly over losing subscriptions. Which makes no sense. How could someone in his position suddenly lose that? So, we could have a racist, sexist boss who can fire someone for any reason, and not only that, bar them from working elsewhere, and we'd never know why someone is fired or why we are. In fact, we'll be made out to look like the bad ones, the ones who did wrong.

Managin money: now, this guy who is moving into my mom's apartment is a stockbroker and a millionare and not even 30. This is someone who is supposed to be an expert on money. He is spending probably millions to redo the apartment when really this building isn't built for that. He is literally moving the toilet. Does that make any sense? Oh, I know, the value will go up. Is that really true? I can't say for sure it isn't. But to me it makes no sense to spend thousands of dollars to move a toilet. Am I the only one who thinks this?

No comments: