oh lovelies

Thursday, April 06, 2006

my former activism, like street harassment

I was just at a feminist meeting today, and .....long story short, we've been confronted with problems of people disagreeing on topics and division and infighting in "left" groups which has in some cases gotten out of control. I find it strange how when I was involved with the street harassment project we told stories of everyday encounters, and people began vehemently objecting to them, or wanting more "action-oriented" meetings and less consciousness-raising, or what seemed to them like a kind of hand-holding. Now, some of these same people have gone full circle and are putting up Web sites devoted specifically to stories. Also, there are people wanting to take counter harassment parties to clubs (my original idea, which they opposed a few years ago). There is a lot more to it than this, but at least I can say I've learned from my mistakes. Don't spill your guts to the world and expect them to be grateful or understanding.

No comments: