oh lovelies

Monday, April 24, 2006

Blast in Dahab, Egypt

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060424/ap_on_re_mi_ea/egypt_resort_blasts_19;_ylt=AtoSdYds6VyHEE_sDnaibsfFCBEB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl


I'm really shaken by this because I was there a year and a half ago; that same resort. We were all told Egypt is safe; and the whole time I was there there were no shakeups. The most that happened was when I was in Jerusalem I was sitting in a pizza shop with a companion, then we all heard a loud noise. My friend said, that sounds like a bomb. All these people were running down the street that was earlier like any hangout, anywhere. It turned out to be a false alarm, but my friend said people are nervous.

First the ferry sunk in the red sea, now this. It's still unlikely you'll be caught in something like this, but life carries no guarantees. I really thought stuff like this didn't happen in Egypt, though...but duh, it did in Taba, where I also was. I took a taxi alone through the Sinai which was a really profound experience.....but we passed Taba and it was like a ghost town; I mean there was nothing, really....just empty buildings and hotels. Still, you get passionate attachments to certain places, and situations. What is the hold this place has on me? I don't even read the papers, I'm not interested in war or what ammendments get passed through Congress on any given day. I know, I"m self-involved.

No comments: