oh lovelies

Sunday, April 23, 2006

more on going out

I've been reading more blogs on street harassment which is being called "eve teasing." I think it's awesome that all these things are turning up and this topic is being discussed. I object to the term "eve teasing" cause I think it's too mild. There's a really ugly, negative and aggressive element to the way men prey on women in public spaces. They say it's to meet women, but I think really, as someone else said, it's a way of asserting their power. Really sick. It's usually women or girls who are innocent-looking, and I think it's more especially....well I don't know....but I'm thinking being blond intensifies it, though it happens to women from all backgrounds. But even more, I'm still shocked, in a way, of how we're subtly told we should feel grateful for this attention. Like depend on it.....

No comments: