oh lovelies

Friday, May 20, 2011

gentrification and life in nyc

http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2011/05/22/nyregion/the-last-jam-session-at-106-rivington.html

to say Manhattan isn't what it used to be doesn't begin to go there. The kind of people in ....the lower east side and east village now.....quite frankly, the scene is evil. That is my opinion. These are the people I came to the city to get away from. They are over-privileged,annoying, ignorant and stupid. And have seemingly an endless flow of cash to blow to the four winds. They have no culture, to put it mildly. Simone de Beauvoir wrote about an atmosphere of ennui or boredom in Hollywood and places like it and it's here too. I don't like being in Tribeca, my mom's neighborhood. It was once an area of art galleries, there was a huge mural I walked past thousands of times which is now a billboard. The people inhabiting Tribeca now are these Jersey/Long Island trash Republican idiots. Hate is not a nice word. But New York is not New York. They are not good people. They are not people I want in my life in any way. That is my opinion of them.I suppose that comes across as very harsh to some people. But every day I walk past  them, their smug looks their barbaric ....what do I say? They're like retarded children set loose in a diamond shop. They are intolerant themselves. They are ignorant. They are not up to any good, most of them. Oh, believe me I can tell you stories. They are awful individuals. OK. That's what I think of them.

BUT that's what happens when you get a Republican mayor who harasses club and bar owners to the point where you can't even dance in a bar. Who closes down ....sends the police to terrorize kids having parties (the early 00s I lived through that). Raises the rents to absurd levels. Tells the police to arrest homeless people for being homeless. Pretty much. The city is safer and cleaner than it was. Not all was fabulous back in the days. But there is no culture. There is very little inspiration in the daily crowd-----these people they're like sorority/fraternity people. I have to say I do not like sororities or fraternities. Even growing up I had to deal with people who because they were born into money knowing they had this croaker's green to fall back on they thought they were entitled to any damn thing they wanted, and that I somehow owed them something. They resented me for being pretty, original and talented. Excuse me, I didn't know that was an offense. But others offended me by their relentless flaunting of their pretty much stolen, fraudulently gotten wealth when I was barely remaining alive. Guess what, many of those people are now in jail. Good riddance man, of the riff raff. But there must be far, far more.

No comments: