oh lovelies

Thursday, August 04, 2005

how many times I've been propositioned today

so many I stopped counting. Our society...whatever you want to call it, or maybe just men, or....????? place so much emphasis on women being attractive and we're under constant pressure to be that, to be well-groomed, whatever you want to call it. But then we look nice, and what happens is......intense, exaggerated stares, comments, honks and catcalls from cars, and being asked in a crude, disrespectful way for sex or blowjobs. I don't think I'm that gorgeous, although I'm not ugly, either. My point is, if we get pissed, we're told we either can't appreciate compliments or we're getting bent out of shape over nothing, a little harmless fun, or we're crazy, hysterical bitches, or we should appreciate it cause once we're past a certain age we won't get it, or we should be grateful we're getting it at our age. I would always, my whole life, think I am not pretty enough, thin enough. THere has never been a time in my life where I thought I was thin enough or pretty enough, although there were times when I thought I looked good. But the other side of that is always, once we are "pretty" being the target of unwanted attention. Or maybe it happens even if we aren't "pretty." I've gotten it even when I didn't look good or was dressed badly or.....when I see men doing this to other women it makes me sick. SOmetimes I'd feel resentful or jealous of the women, or think, I have to admit, why is she walking down that street dressed that way. But maybe I do it, too, without realizing it. BUt now I have come full circle, or rather, 180 degrees and I see it the other way. These men are shits, they're disrespectful. What is the solution? I am not sure our counter harassment parties were. BUt I have yelled at these men, I have had my public battles. And no, I don't enjoy it or go looking for it. But I was provoked to where I finally snapped. What if I'm having a bad day, if I'm upset, like I was today, and I get some stupid comment? Yeah, I am going to be pissed....I'm human, I have bad days, I get mad, I lose my cool. Am I not entitled to my feelings? To react, if pushed that way??????

No comments: