oh lovelies

Monday, August 14, 2006

Hamptons, just returned!

So bizarre I randomly met this guy who turned out to be the owner of the Star Room in the Hamptons. I'm still buzzing from the whole experience and can't stop thinking about it. So.....I took the LIRR from Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn where I live to Southhampton, where I met my mom and sister. Mother was in a good mood and we went on our millionth trip to the farm stand out there where Mother got berries and corn on the cob. The fresh corn out there is sweet, heavenly. So the Hamptons look pretty and I'm so depressed there are only a couple weeks left of summer boo! So I'm trying to make the most of them. I love summer, I've said that before, and decided I refuse to be cold this year after and I hope, I pray, I can go to South Africa Egypt just some place warm for the winter. I was so relieved to be in Egypt that bitter winter two years ago. I know I won't miss the cold.

But summer's here now and my sister and I went to the Star Room. It turned out to be a pretty decent place not pretentious with a hip hop room and a techno room (but nowhere near enough bathrooms) and the techno room was red and I didn't see it at first only the hip hop room and that stuff isn't for me, so I was thinking, how am I going to stay here four hours but finally I found the other room, which was more like a separate house. The crowd was mixed mostly Long Island people lots of bleached blond hair, but most people were nice, actually. The techno room had a drum player, balloons and go go dancers. My sister was determined to get drunk so she went off to get some alcohol, and when I found her again she asked me to come with her into the bathroom so she could take off her bra, which she didn't have room for in her bag so she wanted to keep it in mine which had very little room. So it's this long long line and only one toilet finally Sam gets her turn and she ends up staying in there for several minutes. This girl said to me, is your sister OK? She's been in there a while. So I knocked on the door and said Sam, what's going on? I won't go into the details but the bathroom was pretty vile so she said, just one second. This girl said, I don't think your sister is OK.....so finally Sam came out then later she was telling me she couldn't understand why people were giving her dirty looks. She told them, the toilet was stopped up so "I went in the trash can and this woman got mad at me and I said why are you giving me that look I'm trying to be your friend?" We split up again as these guys with button down shirts were after her and I wanted to find other parts of the club and that's when I found the techno room. So.....hours later I finally ran into Sam again when it was getting late and the place was closing. I said, I'm tired and my feet hurt let's go and she said, "I'm not tired. You can go." Her voice was different, like high pitched, and she was sandwiched between these two guys. Before I saw her on this stage area dancing with these girls and I think she was making the moves on them....not sure. But before, I had met this fairly nice guy (Alexander) from Austria who approached me and we had gotten into a conversation. I have his number so who knows.....I think he'll call. Whatever: I'm so not interested in dating right now. But he was nice, and I was thankful to have some company.

So my sister has had a few and she's underage and I'm beginning to think she has some kind of manic illness.....I adore her but she's not that bright about things. She wanted to leave with these guys who also wanted me to go with them to some after hours thing, and this guy had been all over me saying, "I want to set my friend up with the Irish girl." I'm actually mostly German but it's the red hair.....

And I said, I can't get into a car with you I don't know you. Especially cause he was all over me and it's obvious.....but my sister wanted to go with his friends and I kept trying to talk her out of it but arguing with her is like arguing with a bull so I said, whatever, I'm leaving. So....as I was getting a cab, my sister, with another guy she met (also named Alexander), said, wait, these guys will give us a ride. So this nice young men who worked at the club drove us home for half the cab fare. I got out but Sam wanted to stay with Alex so I got out, so thankful to finally be home. I love the feeling of coming home after clubbing, and falling into bed. It's such a relief to get out of the shoes and back into the comforts of home. I was really beat and fell asleep, but within a half hour or so Sam came in, and whispered, "Alex is outside and I don't know what to do. I have to drive him home and need the car keys." I said, you have to deal with Mother about this cause she'll flip.....and on and on, but she left then came back within a couple hours. I had brought my space heater cause the place was absolutely freezing and I can't sleep in a cold room. My mother freaks out about it cause she thinks it's a fire hazard even though there's a switch on it that turns it off if any objects get to close to it or if it overheats. That is the main bone of contention between us....because she can't sleep unless the room is cold and I can't sleep unless it's hot. I like the room to be hot like the desert and to sleep naked, with no covers. So Sam comes in while I'm sleeping with the heater on and turns on the air conditioner. I woke up to realize both the AC and the space heater were going at the same time. Finally, morning came around and Mother came in, saw the heater and said, "Laura I thought I asked you not to use that." I said, it's cold in here and I can't sleep in the cold. I really can't. I get sick, extremely, sleeping in cold. One time I practically got pneumonia. I have no choice but to go against her wishes and use it, I'm sorry. Cause even though it's summer it's cold in the house at night. What else am I going to do?

So, the next morning Mother's friend Donna, my former boss, was there and she, Sam and I had breakfast and an interesting conversation. We decided to go to the beach and after two and a half hours of preparation and Sam getting pissed we left. I was supposed to catch an early train cause I had to be back for an audition but I ended up staying at the beach. I know, that's really bad. I feel like such a slacker. But the audition was for something .....well, it was a kind of open call. I feel bad about it but there was no number to call and I was enjoying where I was. That's bad I know. If I'd had rehearsal or a really major audition I would have left.....but finally I caught the later LIRR and sat for hours on this train which had a really disgusting bathroom that smelled and I had salt water in my hair.

So I swam in the ocean--I'm backtracking--and I love the sea even though I'm a fire sign but it's really beautiful, and swimming is hard work. My arms and legs were aching, but it was beautiful nonetheless. When I got out, my hair was sticking together and the salt water was stinging my eyes but no matter......

but on the train I was feeling horribly dirty and trying to concentrate on my book but the smell was atrocious and I was worried about germs and to top that off, my ex Albert had called while we were getting into the beach car to go to the train, to tell me that my beloved old cat, Midi, is on her last days. That news was devastating but inevitable. So we're going to have to arrange a "funeral" and I think Midi should be buried in the Hamptons cause that's where she's from. Her dying is the end of an era: that's where I got my Midicat name. I don't want her to suffer, but I really feel the pain of her dying even more than I felt my fathers: I mean, Dad's was expected--I guess this is as well. But it feels like it's happening to me personally, like someone wants to get me.

But life has to go on, you know?

No comments: