oh lovelies

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

decriminalize prostitution

I will go back to this because I've been reading up on it again. The more I read the madder I get, that in this day and age this blatant discrimination still occurs under the guise of "morality" or "family values." Police arrest people for having sex, consenting adults, and meanwhile....incidents like Imette St Guillen and others are allowed to occur. I've heard stories of cops who told people they were "on their donut break" when they were approached about a guy beating his girlfriend on the street. Now this has been twisted into some kind of...I don't know what....even a lot of feminists won't look at this situation realistically because they believe that prostitution degrades women or that legalization will encourage sex slavery. I don't know if "sex slavery" even exists and I used to be on the front lines of those working to stop it. I thought sex work was degradation but that was a different time in my life and now I see the other side, though I was never blind to it. This is life or death, and I'm frustrated by the failure of many people I work with to get on this case, feminist or not. Like when I went to the NOW conference over the summer, this one young woman was very dismissive and derogatory to these sex worker rights activists and talked about how ideal the "Swedish model" of arresting customers is. I wanted to say, one of these days that will be you working as a hooker....you think it won't happen to you? But I'm saying it is hard to believe in this day and age these out of date and fascist, really, morality laws are terrorizing women, and gay men as well. We could be assaulted or raped, even by a police officer, and what will be done about it? Because they are government employees they're holy? No, my vision is turned now. If this sex slavery is that rampant, it should be stopped, but WHERE is it? Where are these people?

No comments: