oh lovelies

Thursday, January 12, 2006

leaving manhattan, where I was happy, basically

ugh! I lived up in Morningside Heights and LOVED it up there, but am now back in Brooklyn. It's fucked. It could be worse, yes, but there's no quick and easy way to get from where I am to Manhattan. It's near the G train, the C, but the stop is sucky and not safe at night. My neighborhood, near Pratt, is safe, that isn't the point. I place a high stake in being able to come home late at night and not feel threatened. Now that I was in Manhattan it's giving me back the old snobbery, and and I can feel annoyed that I'm no longer there. I did grow up in Manhattan, downtown, so I had that advantage. I'm awful, really. Even my mother thinks I'm going to get murdered living in Brooklyn. G even has his biases, like he won't live in Queens or New Jersey. No one in the world are worse social snobs than New Yorkers. So now I'm officially moving down in the world.

I'm trying to stay upbeat. I mean, commuting's a pain in the ass, but once on the train it's a 10 minute ride into the city, and it's safe and pretty and "cool." And, I'm on my own, for now anyway, and free for the first time in months.

No comments: