oh lovelies

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

loooonnnnnng day

still recovering from an interview that took me out to kew gardens, queens, for a job editing the yellow pages out there. Exciting,huh? There's a hell of a lot going on now, but it's too intense to write in just a blog. I still don't know where to go from here exactly, but I do know what projects are looming. There's always something else to do.

The problem with NYC is, rather, the problem with the US is, now that the old structures of family are no more, really, we need new ways of living. We're all isolated in our apartments. I am in mine, and it's getting to me. It's too expensive and too much work and I need someone, really a significant other, to live there with me. But G won't move in there, and no one else has. Roommates would be barely tolerable.

But I read this elsewhere, as it's not just my idea, but I'm expanding. We need more of a communal living space, not this owner/renter/everyone in their honeycomb situation. A neighborhood where people work together and help eachother in ways like with kids, pets, medical. If abortion (an immediate flag) becomes illegal there could be local abortionists....but people tried that in the past and it doesn't appear to have worked. But so much energy is spent keeping it legal and I don't think it should ever not be. But if it is, if there were a society where people worked together and looked out for eachother, unwanted pregnancies could be dealt with better. But besides abortion, there is SO much that's not being looked at: the fact that just living requires more and more impossible feats. There are no, or few, full time wives or maids to stay home and take care of a house, let alone kids. How can you realistically work 16 hour days and come home to do all those homey things? It's impossible. I couldn't do it, it cost me my health. Why aren't these things being addressed more by women leaders? I have my theories, but will have to write on it later.

No comments: