oh lovelies

Monday, June 21, 2010

Random things I keep seeing little blond kids, like in my mother's neighborhood, with black nannies. I'm not kidding. All the time. It's incredibly disturbing to me. When you go to the playgrounds in NYC, the kids are not with their parents. They're with nannies and babysitters. To me this is really kind of sick. I come from a very middle class, middle American background and it is absurd that kids are not raised by parents. I believe in feminism of course. But was this the intended direction? It was working women often who opposed day care centers. Because kids should be with their parents......they said until they had kids, and left them with nannies. I'm not making this up either. My ex boss, a woman who has two kids, who put her daughter in day care when she got divorced and had to go back to work full time, let one woman go after she had a baby and asked if she could bring her new born to the office. And America has no maternity leave either. And it's often women opposing this, working women. This was my experience in corporate America. Is motherhood a low status job? If I have kids I want to be with them. I've heard of some children who literally think their babysitters are their mothers. I sarcastically joked to myself that the "yuppie" mothers don't want to compete with sexy teenage girl babysitters that's why they hire generally fat and frumpy women to look after their children.....then on the news I saw an article about a 13 year old girl held for manslaughter after a baby died. I babysat at 13 and the kids are fine......and grown up. Youth is not long.

No comments: