oh lovelies

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Shame on you, Boston

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=128539


This may come across as strident, but so be it, it's how I feel. I am not mincing words this time.


I'm truly horrified by the persecution and harassment suffered by young female sex workers, or prostitutes, by police. What they're doing to these women is truly criminal, inhuman and unforgivable. They call these women who sell sex and buy it from them, then arrest them. I just can't believe that this kind of brutality exists and comes from those who have power and can get away with it. In a misogynist world, a woman who has to sell herself is criminalized, punished, treated as a bad person, when it's the state of the world that led her there to begin with. Shame on you, police, shame on you, Boston!!!! I will not apologize, either. Prostitution must be decriminalized, legalized, and sex is not a crime! Because of the illegality of it, hookers have no defense against rape or other kinds of violence. This is inexcusable. And in a country where I have no control over my reproductive functions (possibly) or where "abstinence only" is the sex education, I can't live, I won't. I want out of this horrid place, away from these insane, anti-woman authorities. I am not normally this straightforward, but I mean it this time. I need to move to a place where women, people in general have rights. This is brutal, and truly scary. Well, anyhow, I used to read all these stories of sex slaves and....I've never seen it, never lived it, but it's obviously unacceptable and needs to be stopped. What I'm saying is that hookers, most, do what they do because they have to, often.....and they're not hurting anyone. If you're not soliciting where there are children, families, whatever, if you're not doing it publicly at all, where's the crime? Lewd behavior? This is truly scary. I used to think differently, and I hate any kind of art or imagery of any kind that degrades women, but women who sell their bodies should not be treated as criminals. What are the other options?

No comments: