oh lovelies

Friday, March 10, 2006

ok I'm getting pissed at this thread

http://nvfc.us/blog/?p=180#comments

I don't think it's admirable for women to be out drunk at 4am. But I've been out alone in NYC in the am at all hours and, look at me, I'm great, I'm still alive. Thing is, even if the cops catch whoever did this, there'll always be another. I believe, to my bones, the answer to what happened to Imette St Guillen is not for women to walk down another street, wear a different shirt, not stay out past a certain time, not go out alone, ect. It's something else. I've been out, I've gone to strangers houses, and....what is it st Barnes said in Platoon? Out here you keep your shit wired tight at all times. I think the element is street smarts and .....let there be no "perfect victim" for these guys. Teach women self defense, and to stand up for each other. Well, this is where it getx complicated. I think the thing is toughness, staying alert. But I really resent being told I'm acting inappropriately. What am I supposed to do, become a nun? I understand what people mean when they say women put themselves in danger, and I can't explain it, and they shouldn't live carelessly. But I don't see that they're safer indoors, as a friend of mine was attacked when someone broke into her apartment. You're under pressure to dress up when going out. But....I understand, the world is what it is and a woman is not in her best way being drunk off her ass and in vulnerable situations with strange men who are much stronger than them. I know. But the reason my friends and I avoided dangerous situations is because we were educated about what's out there, and we knew ahead of time what to avoid, when it's a good time to leave. Like I said, it's "street smarts." If someone gives you a bad feeling, stay away. But.....still there's no guarantee. Now, there's "abstinence only" sex ed, and telling girls that rapists exist is encouraging them to think about sex and become tramps, according to our leaders, so now girls don't know. They are not even told about condoms.

This excerpt from Denmark's The Torch:
As an alternative to the advice of the Chief of Police who called upon women to stay indoors, Vagina Dentata sent out the afore-mentioned declaration of action by occupying Politikens Hus in Copenhagen. In the declaration is says: »Don't put up with being told to stay at home because men commit rape.« And to the men: »We call upon all men to – as a gesture of solidarity – stay home at night, or only go out accompanied by a woman after eight o'clock in the evening, until all women can move freely.«
Female gangs and violent self-defence The women of Vagina Dentata have found inspiration in many different places, but primarily among women who have dared to fight. »All women who fight are an inspiration,«


and....

According to Vagina Dentata, the solution is to free oneself from the traditional female role with all its expectations and prohibitions women are brought up to accept. »It is part of our society, our upbringing, which means the whole system we live in. In contrast to men, women are brought up not to be aggressive, and instead turn the problem against themselves: »I have probably done ...« and »I shouldn't have said ...« but when you get the feeling of revenge, or want to take revenge, it is to get it out of your system and aim it at the one who caused it. If a women is attacked, there is always a tendency to try to justify it by her behaviour, her lack of ability to say no or the way she dresses. But we want to make it perfectly clear, that no one is entitled to commit an attack!«


and....

Therefore, the group has advocated new solutions which in the eyes of many are quite radical: »We have some possible solutions. There are alternatives to wearing something else, walk another way home, or to even stay home, which are the current alternatives available to women in our society.« Their declaration speaks of a militant confrontation. »We are only saying: Also women can get angry and aggressive. We have been brought up to avoid fights, and therefore we haven't learnt it. But it is possible for all women to dare to defend themselves, one way or the other.« Of course there are situations in which the woman is not strong enough to act, but their opinion is that she can call to other women for help.
Experience shows, that their sanctions work. Vagina Dentata can see that they have already had an effect on other women. They have received positive feed-back from many individuals, both unofficially as well as from people who step forward and grant their support.


I will say it again: I've been out in NYC at 4am (not drunk) and I came back alive. This sends this really negative message that women are in danger and can't go out, and if they do they're enticing rapists. Yes, they exist and by being in their way you become a target: but ultimately this sends a message to women to live in fear, to hide from the world. Well....maybe it's that I"m influenced by movies like Nadja, Kill Bill, Lady Snowblood.....all from a feminist perspective. All women that go out and have sex are not victims. The solution is not for women to stay indoors, but for all the world to take responsibility and change.

No comments: