oh lovelies

Friday, March 10, 2006

my comment on that thread, which didn't go through

I have really mixed feelings about this. It may be true that someone becomes a "good victim" by making themselves weak (drunk) in a shady setting. Still, SoHo is considered a "safe" neighborhood and people there pay high rents for exactly that reason. I am really fascinated by this topic because I live in NYC and am in the same neighborhoods all the time. I can add, however, that I have walked around MANY times late at night, including in "bad" neighborhoods, and I'm a female, more or less attractive" and I haven't been attacked. It really pisses me off to hear people saying, "don't go out by yourself" because it's not like there's always a choice. I've been taking care of myself and walking home by myself since I was seven years old. I'm independent and tough and I have what's called "street smarts" and while there's no guarantee, by fighting back in my own way I've avoided bad situations. And the reason I have been able to is because my friends and I had sex education as well as being taught the dangers out there: ie what to look for and what are the signs and what to avoid and to trust your gut. This sends an unfair message that NYC is dangerous, and that women can't go out or must stay indoors, ect. And I have a problem with that, myself. If you watch films like "Nadja" that can give an example how all women who go out at night are not all victims!

No comments: