oh lovelies

Monday, June 08, 2015

Speck

"My private life is scandalized by the public/But that's the price I have to pay for my fame"  Noticable One by Missing Persons 

"American women are not, of course, being readied for mass extermination, but they are suffering a slow death of mind and spirit." Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique



"Yet we were wrong, terribly wrong. We owe it to future generations to explain why."

Robert McNamara 


Photos:
     Jack Dykinga. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Dykinga ( www.dykinga.com )




From The Vault Of Art Shay: Remembering The Richard Speck Case


These are bits from the Richard Speck case, Chicago, 1966. I wasn't yet born, but growing up I met some of the people who had been involved on the media end. This is quite powerful stuff and looking this stuff up plus music from the period I started shaking.....this was a media frenzy equivalent to OJ Simpson or Jodi Arias well yeah I suppose they do become celebrities.....I can say that the emotional toll taken on people involved in this was devastating and remained for a long time. I must have sensed something underneath the surface even though I was a kid at the time.....a lot of music from the period is (my opinion) over the top happy cheesy ( not bland trite oooh sorry forgot I'd watched a Bart Baker parody)  and ......but hinting at something more to come.......

No comments: