oh lovelies

Saturday, October 10, 2009

health care quote

ok. All this week I've been dealing with health insurance issues. This had been an ongoing problem for months, but now after intense concentration I'm managing to resolve it. I applied for this cheap program and also am eligible for this 9/11 program as my mother was downtown at the time. I went into the clinic at St. Vincent's hospital and, after waiting all day, talked to a social worker and psychiatrist who prescribed me some medication as it turns out I have ADHD. I really do, no bs.

I will get into the massive....as this was part of our consciousness raising for the women's group I worked with....we gave our testimonies. That's only the tip of mine. I moved, I never got the forms for renewal as I'd had insurance before so it expired then to apply again I needed a letter from an employer which in my situation is extremely difficult to get, if not impossible. I won't get into THAT. BUT, someone I have been doing some work for finally agreed to sign a letter. But the point is, I don't see why I need the person above me, or any third person involved to get health insurance. My getting it was dependent on someone else's goodwill. But in my case, universal health care saved me. My friend made a funny quote once, saying that the taxes in Europe are much higher than here in the US and they only keep half of what they earn as the rest goes into these social programs. He said, "The money has to come from somewhere it's not going to come from a magic wand." So I suppose there's no easy answer. I don't think the middle class should carry the burden of paying for the problems of the whole US, or...? I mean, so many people are out of jobs now that they need these things. Well, anyway, just some thoughts on the subject.

No comments: