oh lovelies

Sunday, April 29, 2007

men are disgusting slimy pigs

I have to remember there are some decent men in the world. But there are too many who aren't. I can't go out and have a good time at night because I and every other female have to deal with these guys who are trying to "score" --the aggressiveness--basically having to ward off unwanted advances. There's all this talk about sexual harassment in the workplace-- some people still try to call it harmless flirting--but it's everywhere. I don't even want to call it "street harassment" because it's sexual harassment--the same thing. I'm emotionally warped because of it. I'm mad. I walk around in this state when I should be doing other things with my time. Whether it's happening to me or someone else is not the point it's that it's happening period. Whether it's a guy getting out of a car going, "Pretty ladies!" or men in groups trying to stop us, "lines" it's enough, enough. I don't even want to go out anymore. I don't remember dealing with these extremes when I was younger, in high school. I was thinking about it, and I believe there is a reason the Street Harassment Project started when it did--as there are no coincidences. It's the Central Park incident--interesting how all this anti-woman aggression happens in parks, where people go for relaxation and "outdoor therapy"--but a sign of the times, and there's a reason it started in New York City. Because here there are people crammed together in small spaces, and one of the drawbacks of nice weather is that people want to hang around and unwind, outdoors, lay back--and check out all the babes. It's not fun and flirting, it's a method of control and intimidation. The problem is....women are responsible for women's oppression as well, but that's another topic I don't have time to go into. I know, I've heard the pro-woman line and I see the logic, but I'm sorry it is true--women oppress women. It's not only women doing it but it's reality. Like the women who took over SHP, kicked out the founding member, and....according to some....pretty much diluted the original message, made it non-political, and even, to an extent (my opinion anyhow) infused it with a new kind of class bias . Whether that was deliberate or not is anyone's guess. This is my take on how things went down, but I'm not going to deny what I feel. SHP was supposed to be a safe space for women and I, and other women, didn't feel safe there.

more on this later....

No comments: