oh lovelies

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

heat wave

normally I like heat, but I have sweat dripping off me, everywhere.

My neighbors smoke and I'm sick of it, I think smoking is RUDE and inconsiderate. I'm sick of being told to suck it up (Garrett) and let them do it. I never smoked into people's windows when I smoked. It' lazy and piggish. I'm always having to inhale people's smoke when I'm jogging.

So, I went to Egypt and my dad had told me not to go anywhere because of terrorism. I said, oh come on (this was last NOvember) and he said, what, you think this is a republican conspiracy? I think it's A conspiracy, though to what party? So I go to Egypt and I get back alive. But now this incident in Sharm El Sheik, though I wasn't there that I know of.

but still something can always happen. I can (God/dess forbid) get hit by a car, shot, knived or .....trip and fall



I'm bitching, but I don't know what to do, ever. I have only an idea. The thing is though, then who will be left to pick up the grunt work that keeps society functioning? Oh, OK, stupid people? Are they really stupid? According to whom? I've seen the lowlifes of the world and the "highlifes" both. It.....where am I going with this? Throughout history, men (rich men) made the crucial worldly decisions that made history and put them in my high school history books, but women? Where were they? Cleopatra? Queen Elizabeth? What other women were in my history classes? The hetairas of Greece, housewives, slaves, common street hookers? I don't identify with ANY of these women. Jeanne D'Arc is one of the rare exceptions. Oh, women's suffrage got a huge mention consisting of two small paragraphs, in my high school history book. So I know what Virginia Woolf meant about women's absence in history.

What these books don't mention is that men (and the occasional Queen) were able to change the world with their contributions because women were doing the .....how can I be pleasant? well, shitwork that was necessary for society but "leaving no human mark" (B Friedan) WOmen and slaves. SOmeone has to take care of babies, clean the floors, be an ornament, decorate the house. But when did these contributions get mentioned? Good old Stuyvesant history. THe story of Bismark, the Triple Alliance, the Industrial Revolution.......

But when a woman could actually write down her experiences, suddenly, someone exists that we know something about. Sappho, Empress Eugenie, Mrs. Osborne, Sylvia Plath.

But like I said, someone has to do the grunt labor, someone has to run the stock market, fix computers, work the traffic lights and subways, sweep the floors.......

I mean, is anyone passionate about that? Why would someone be a CEO if they didn't need the $? Do they love it that much that there's nothing else they'd rather do than get up at 5 AM to go to the office? I just.....I don't get it. What is the solution here?

No comments: